The Sitecore Desktop is just like Windows, it’s customizable. Not a lot have utilized it because there’s not much about on how to do so except for typical user-specifics such as wallpaper, desktop shortcuts, etc. Here is one thing you can do to the system tray.
WARNING: Make sure to be cautious when making these changes as these updates the Core database.
- Click on the Database Selector and select Core.
- Under the Core database, open the Content Editor.
- Go to sitecore/content/Applications/Desktop/Tray. You’ll see the Database item there which defines the Database Selector you see to the left of the time in the system tray.
- Let’s add a new Toolbutton and name it OpenWebsite.
- In the OpenWebsite item, the key fields under Data are:
- Click: defines the system command that is called when the item is clicked on the tray (for our example use “system:openwebsite”)
- Icon: the icon used on the tray (for our example use “Network/16x16/earth.png”
Play with the other fields there and see how it changes the tray.