Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I’m Back

Okay, it’s been a while (specifically almost a year) that I’ve written something on Sitecore.  Since the economy wasn’t too good last year (even now), I had to focus my efforts on ensuring my company is not affected much.  I needed to redirect my attention to growth and to do that is to have the right people in place.  I think I have that now.  I’m still going to be busy doing that, but I’ll put more time into my Sitecore blog.

This may be a year later but Sitecore’s Security UIs have remained the same, so I thought I pick it back up from where I last left off. 

There are five (5) security-related UI's in Sitecore (not counting the security tab/section on the Content Manager):

  • Access Viewer
  • User Manager
  • Security Manager
  • Role Manager
  • Domain Manager

Sitecore’s Access Viewer is certainly much improved from previous versions.  It used to be somewhat confusing but with the context help/explanation on the right, it makes it easier to understand.  Notice also that you can now also see how workflow affects security.  It’s brilliant. 

image

FUTURE FEATURE: To make it better, it’d be nice to see how the security is inherited such as if this is from the template, or from a hierarchy, or combination.  This way, we can easily diagnose potential security issues.

2 comments: